In May, the Portuguese Semester celebrates diversity in its different forms and formats. The 24th of May is the time to honour biological diversity (or biodiversity), which refers to the variety of living organisms on Earth.
Biodiversity is so rich that many species are yet to be discovered. However, pressures from human activities are threatening biodiversity to alarming levels, leading to urgent calls to putting forward conservation measures.
We want to invite you to listen about how science can support the biodiversity conservation in Europe and to share with us your insights on the topic.
The role of science in supporting the EU Biodiversity Strategy
12.30h Welcome by moderators
- Alexandra Marques, PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency & Rita Araujo, Joint Research Centre, European Commission
12.35h The EU Biodiversity Strategy
- Humberto Rosa, DG Environment
12.45h Rebuilding marine life
- Carlos Duarte, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
12.55h EuropaBON: designing a biodiversity monitoring system for Europe
- Henrique Pereira, iDiv – German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research & Cibio, Research Center in Biodiversity and Genetic Resources
13.05h The project Biodiversity 2030 in the framework of the European Biodiversity Strategy
- Miguel Araujo, National Museum of Natural Sciences (CSIC) & University of Evora
13.15h Cross-sectoral mainstreaming of biodiversity conservation as a critical tool to implement the Biodiversity Strategy
- Catarina Ferreira, UFZ Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research
13.25h Discussion and Q & A
- with the participation of Patricia Lopes, Environment Attaché, Permanent Representation of Portugal to the European Commission
13.50h The JRC Knowledge Center for Biodiversity: working at the science-policy interface
- Ana Cristina Cardoso, Joint Research Centre, European Commission
13.55h Introducing young minds to science and biodiversity